Saturday, June 4, 2011

Haeundae Beach Sand Festival


Haeundae Beach, the uber-popular place during the summer time so I was pleasantly surprised to find the sand festival not as 'sardinish' as I expected. The weather was perfect and we all had a fabulous time. The theme was fairy tales as you will be able to see from the pictures. There was a two-part castle/fortress at the entrance around the guy with the sword, but I couldn't get a picture of it - too big! Here's a partial:




There were plenty more!

Since we are still waiting to move any day now I couldn't make plans to go till the last minute and was unable to book a hotel room; everyone was sold out! We were only able to stay for several hours during the day, thereby missing most of the entertainment venues since they mainly had that at night. We did get to see an airshow by the Black Eagles, Korean fancy fighter pilots, that was pretty awesome.

I don't know if you can see it well in the posted photo, but they made a taeguk in the sky.

We also took some time to play in the water, but it was really cold, too cold to do anything other than get your feet wet.
There was sledding and sand boarding that were really fun as well!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for a fascinating and nostalgic view of Korea, Waegon and Camp Carroll in particular. I was born there and moved to the states in 1975 when I was 9. I lived (in a single family house!) in the hills adjacent to the base and spent many summers wandering around those hills finding Korean War artifacts. The town has changed so much (Mayberry to Manhattan like transformation)! Thanks again.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have enjoyed this! Since you are from here you will be saddened to hear that the historic Nakdonggang pedestrian bridge has fallen. I am going to write about that right now and hope to capture the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is sad news. That bridge has personal memories that I still vividly remember. I once rode my bicycle on it (I was 7 or 8 around 1973-74?) and didn't realize it had un-repaired holes (clear through the river) that would have completely swallowed up my wheels of my bicycle. Luckily I saw the holes and avoided them. My early childhood in Korea had many similar near-misses with danger, definitely a different time and culture. Joe

    ReplyDelete