Saturday, July 2, 2011

Movin' on Up

This blog entry is of a more personal, reminiscent nature, so feel free to skip over the ramblings and rantings below if you've no interest in reading about my feelings!

We've begun our move north to Seoul, I say begun because we've been stuck in a hotel for over a week now waiting on the reconciliation of some housing issues. We are present in Seoul, but not exactly living here yet. I'm excited and disappointed all at the same time. Excited to be in this massive city with a thousand and one things to do, but incredibly disappointed in the Yongsan garrison here. To be the largest post in Korea I expected so much more in the way of family services and standard of living, especially since they brag on this post so much. Please do not take this as a rant against all things army; I truly enjoy the army lifestyle most days, but I am appalled at what they expect families to accept as 'just part of life in Korea'. Since I have lived in Korea under the army's care for 20 months now, I know that what they are peddling up here is, quite frankly, crap. Part of me is more than a little ticked off.

I'm also a bit melancholy for the small town environment of Waegwan and my neighbors and Camp Walker. (Wow, truly never thought I'd say that!) Of course some of it comes from having to once again say good-bye to people I've grown to love and not having anyone to fill that space right now. In time I'll adapt to the services and command climate here and learn to navigate around. But for now I'm going to wallow in my memories, already burnished by distance if not time, and hope the silver lining comes out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment