Friday, June 8, 2012

Times Square


Times Square is a very Western style shopping mall located in what looks to be an older section (Yeongdeungpo) of Seoul. Most shopping areas in Korea are still street market style, and underneath this mall there is also a massive underground shopping market. Street markets can be fun, but sometimes, at least as an American female, you just want to meander through the mall. This is a very wide open mall, and wide open anything is unusual in Korea. It contains several very upscale stores, such as Cartier and Louis Vuitton, but it also has an E-Mart in the basement level (like a Wal-Mart), and everything in between. It is also attached to a Shinsegae department store, which is a dominant name in Korea. I went with a friend one day just to check it out, and we had a great time. My favorite store, UniQlo, is in here, along with my favorite dessert place: Krispy Kreme! Later in the week I took the girls back to the playplace they have in the lower level. 

Main atrium of Times Square Mall.

There are tons of restaurants in the mall. The girls and I ate in the food court. I don't think I've ever explained in this blog how Korean food courts work. There is one line that has the menus for all the restaurants located inside the food court. This line is where you order and pay, then receive a number that will be displayed on a large central screen and also on a screen at the restaurant where your food is ready to be picked up. This particular food court gave me a pager for each restaurant I had an order from; they are upscale here! This may be done somewhere in America, but I've never seen it before.

"I like Dalki" playplace.

Play place game center. Notice the boy in the fountain.
This pose is quite popular in Korea.

A bouncy rabbit.

Sign for the bathroom. He's a poo-poo head.

Sky park. A nice area to relax, view a bit of the city. There was no
one else up here, and it was a bit odd to see the city skyline
(not so much in this shot),  yet still feel alone in Seoul.

Sorry for the blurry picture. I love these little coffee shops they have everywhere in Korea. This is one example that I thought was absolutely adorable! 



No comments:

Post a Comment