Thursday, May 16, 2013

Suwon Hwaseong Fortress


The impressive, and mostly reconstructed, Hwaseong fortress in Suwon has long been on my to-see list. I was finally able to go! The verdict: I enjoyed it immensely, the rest of my family, one in particular, not so much.

My husband, NOT enjoying the fortress.
The fortress walls are 5.7 kilometers around, and my plan was to walk the circuit to see the outer walls. Inside the walls, most of the are has been built up into modern Suwon city, but there is still a palace museum. Since I've seen all the palaces in Seoul, and viewing it from the outside this one didn't seem any different, we decided to start with the walls first and go back to the museum palace if time allowed. Time did not allow (we were starving!) so all we saw was the fortress walls, which is what I really came for anyway. If you're interested in the history, you can read more here. I'll just let the pictures do the talking for this post. (Quick Korean lesson when reading the names: buk = north, nam = south, dong = east, seo = west, mun = gate)

Hwaseomun with seobuk gongsimdon in background

artillery post


Janganmun

on the walls of janganmun
janganmun from the side

banghwasuryujeong pavilion

hwahongmun over Suwon stream


seonodae



No comments:

Post a Comment