Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A bit of History

I know I posted this picture before but I did some research and wanted to share what I found. This is Hill 303. During the Korean war the North Koreans/Chinese caught and massacred 41 US soldiers on this hill. They tied their hands behind their backs and apparently just randomly shot at them. Some soldiers did manage to escape by faking death and this is how there are accurate reports of the event. There is a granite plaque around somewhere; I haven't walked back there as it is very steep and I don't want to take the girls back there by myself with such a grade. Eventually we will go see it.
Not very exciting I know but it is sobering to look out your window and see that everyday and know what happened there. It makes me think. It's one thing to live an ocean away and see Kim Jong Il blustering about nukes, it's quite another to know he's basically in your backyard. The South Koreans live with this knowledge everyday and while they don't let it paralyze their lives they do keep that threat in the back of their minds. Of course I can only represent what a very small portion have said, and most of them are Katusas (Korean soldiers who work with the US Army) so maybe it's a little more day to day thought for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment