Friday, October 9, 2009

A Korean Feast



So I tried a new recipe for dinner. Bulgogi and some stir fry. There was supposed to be noodles with this to, but I didn't prepare them correctly. In my defense it was only because they took much longer to fix than I realized. You just soak them in water, not boil them. With some of this stuff (like the noodles) I'm having to wing it because I can't read Korean and some of it doesn't come with instructions anyway, you're just supposed to know what to do already from mom I guess. I bought most of the ingredients from the little shop by our apartment. I got the bulgogi recipe from a Korean cookbook from the post library and the stir fry I made up on my own and used a sauce recipe from the cookbook. It had Chinese cabbage, carrots, and I had intended to put bean sprouts in it, (which I think are delicious when prepared correctly), but what I had bought was not bean sprouts. I think it was some sort of really skinny mushroom. It's the long tan stuff in the bottom picture. So it turned out okay; I wasn't all that impressed with the taste of the sauce so I'm going to tweak it some. Less sugar, less sesame seed oil. Little more salt and pepper. All the family ate it with no complaints, which is saying alot. Carrie usually complains about anything different to eat and Matt doesn't like too many vegetables but they both ate it without complaint. Emily ate all hers as well, but she never has been too picky.
We should have ate on the floor Korean style! We ate at a restaurant here like that, take your shoes off at the door and all, and I loved it. I thought it was quite comfortable. Only problem was chasing the 18 month old around while trying to eat.
Here are some pictures! Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment