Friday, November 6, 2009

Kyongju: Part Two

We got to Kyongju by train and then hired a taxi to drive us around. Before we arrived I had formulated a plan as to where I wanted to go, but as they say "the best laid plans...". We had a different driver the two days we were there, and both of them wanted to take us on what they thought was the best tour route. Since being here I've learned many times you just have to roll with it. So we did. And it turned out pretty well. I still got to see almost everything I had planned on and a little more.
One of the places I had not planned on going but am glad we did was the tomb of King Munmu, circa 681, off of Bonggil Beach. Kyongju is filled with tombs, which you may better visualize if you think of burial mounds, but this is not your typical tomb. This one is underwater. So you can only see it from the beach. There is debate as to whether he is actually buried here or they just spread his ashes here, but whatever. It was really pretty and much different than any beach I've been to. Very rocky, little pebbles to large rocks cover the shoreline and there was an area of large boulders as well.The rocky island above is the tomb. You can't go out to it; even if it was warm enough to swim there are stong rip tides here and they don't offer tour boats or anything like that. Below is Bonggil Beach.

Squid hanging out to dry. It's a favorite snack in Korea. I haven't tried it yet...


We also saw the oldest observatory in East Asia, and I thought I read the oldest building in Korea as well. The Cheomseongdae Observatory was built sometime around 634. There's a whole bunch of symbolism in how it was built and number of bricks used, etc, but I won't go into all that. It's a really old building, and kind of pretty; there's not much else to say about it. Here's the picture!

We also walked around a place called Wolseong Fortress, but there's nothing left except some stones stuck in the ground that you can only see because they are marked. Nearby was Sokpinggo, an ancient ice storehouse which is an attraction in Korea.

the outside of Sokpinggo

some of the Silla tombs; they are scattered in groups all around the city


Folk Craft Village


Stone Pagoda of Bunhwang-sa

from Gyeongju National Museum


Kyerim Forest: These trees were beautiful! They are probably a thousand years old. There's also a crazy legend about a baby found here in a gold box, with a rooster crowing beside it. When the baby was taken from the box by the king, he was named the crown prince and named Alchi Kim. However, he surrendered his crown to the king's actual son after the kings death. Eventually, the sixth generation descendent of Kim did become king.

We also made time for fun for the girls and went to Gyeongju World, an amusement park. Carrie had a blast riding the kiddie rides and poor Emily was so upset because she was too small for most of them! Kyongju was great; I really enjoyed our visit. I didn't do any shopping until about the last hour we were there waiting for the train and I think I missed out! The little bit of the shopping area I went through was great! So I may go back just for that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment