Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Asian Kitchen

Since I haven't done anything really blog worthy lately (unless you count getting a little spooked out by our 'threat brief' on NBC attack and instructions on how to use our issued gas masks exciting) here is another recipe post! I've tried a few more new recipes since the last post about food. Not all of them Korean, most of them turning out very well. I got this great cookbook from the library called asian bites by Tom Kine and tried out a few things in there. (I think it's probably about 4 weeks overdue!) A few nights ago we had eggplant fritters from India, pork and cabbage eggrolls from Korea, and stir fried beansprouts. It was all good but the eggrolls were fabulous if I do say so myself! However, tonight we had kalbi, which is a type of Korean BBQ ribs. (Note: Korean BBQ is not at all like American southern BBQ. I believe it's called BBQ only because of the way it is cooked.) I have made it before with a recipe from this website: www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4793091 and they are awesome. I was literally gnawing the bone and I usually find that sort of thing quite demeaning. But anyone would demean themselves for these. (Think "What would you do for a Klondike bar?" becomes "What would you do for some kalbi ribs?") I would highly recommend you try them if you can. (Tips: cut down on some of the sesame oil & be sure to use a grill or grill pan.) If you have high blood pressure please eat these with caution!
I also used a recipe at this address: http://famousrecipes.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/stir-fried-rice-noodles-with-shrimp/ to make a stir fried rice and noodle dish I've been trying to figure out ever since I first had the noodles. I've eaten something like this at two different restaraunts here and love it, but I could never figure out the recipe on my own. I altered this one to fit my tastes as well. I left out the shrimp, added peas & carrots, added rice, and used fish sauce instead of oyster sauce (since that's what I had). Adding some roughly chopped yellow onion would probably be good too. This might be a good moment to let you know that my cooking style is a little relaxed. I view recipes more like suggestions than rules and don't typically measure things very precisely. I just kind of feel it. It usually turns out well, until I want to make it again and can't remember what I did!
Sorry no pictures this time. I just wanted to sink my teeth into them and not sit around looking at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment