Monday, December 21, 2009

"Chicago" in Daegu



The Daegu Opera House. I've been wanting to go since I found out they had one, but I could never find a performance schedule. Well, now I have one!
They were performing the musical "Chicago", which I saw the movie and really enjoyed so I really wanted to see the stage show. Of course it was all in Korean but I know the story by heart so it was easy to follow. It was fantastic! The performers did a great job.
Finding the place was pretty simple; they had English signs and it's kind of hard to miss once you drive by. The driving is not so simple. I do not drive here. I have my Korean license but unless I absolutely have to I don't drive. So far I haven't had to. Matt is learning to drive like the Koreans & it is terrifying! Many times I just have to close my eyes and hold on. We almost missed the turn to the parking lot since we were in the far right lane, so he just turned across the other 2 lanes to make the left hand turn. This sounds crazy but is actually quite normal driving behavior here and surprisingly didn't disturb me at all.
After the play we went to find dinner. It took us an hour to drive about 4 miles. It was horrible. We really need to learn the subway route! We were going to try this restaurant we've driven by and I always thought looked nice, but it turned out to be a drink lounge only. So since we were there, had a parking place, and were starving we just walked till we did find a restaurant, about half a block down. No English, no pictures. The waitress did know the words 'seafood' , 'noodles', and ' pork' so that's what we ordered. I was just hoping the seafood was cooked! My dish was like a seafood noodle soup. It was cooked and it was good, although very spicy. The noodles seemed to be like potato noodles, which was different and very tasty. I had to quit eating after a while because all I could taste was the seared flesh of my mouth. Due to the decor and Matt's meal being very similar to sweet & sour pork, we came to the conclusion that it was a Chinese restaurant, and not Korean.
After dinner we walked across the street (always a life threatening proposition) to a coffee shop. While waiting, I had to use the bathroom. Now I realize this is an odd topic but I also realized that I haven't discussed the toilets here and it's worth blogging about. Toilets here are always a crapshoot, so to speak. They did have a bathroom, except it was in the alleyway behind the shop. And it was cold. Like 20 degrees outside cold. And the bathroom was outside, did I mention it was cold? BUT it did have toilet paper, and a toilet. These are not as common as you may think. Many of the restrooms have 'squatty' toilets, which I have actually mastered the use of! The first few times I was presented with one I chose to wait, but then I decided I couldn't avoid them forever. I have also learned to carry some type of toilet paper with me. Most bathrooms however do not have soap, this one didn't even have a working faucet. This concerned me due to the fact that the guy making the coffee uses the same bathroom. This same situation happened at a restaraunt we ate at; fortunately (or not?) I had already eaten or I don't think I could have continued that meal. (I also carry hand sanitizer at all times!)
So, the opera, the bathrooms. The highs & lows of a day in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment