Friday, September 10, 2010

Duryu Park, Daegu


Never one to let an opportunity to explore pass by, today was the day to see Duryu Park. We had driven by this park last weekend so I made a note of the subway stop nearby and started making plans to come back. I did a little research on the net and found out it is also the location of the Daegu Culture and Arts Center as well, so big bonus for me!

I dragged the girls along on the train and subway, and the walk to the park was a little further than I had thought, so by the time we got there they were a little grumpy. (Lollipop bribes go a long way!) There is a lake in the park with a path going all the way around, and this was the route we took. It was gauntlet of old ajushis and ajummas gawking at us and cooing over the girls. The fountain in the lake was the bright spot for the girls; it would come on at random and shot up to about 40 feet in the air.
view across the pond with culture center in background
girls highlight - the fountain
We continued the stroll around, the oldest dodging the patting hands of the elders, and went into the art center. If you've read my Gwangju post, I can assure you this was much more palatable to my taste. It was a small art museum, mostly local artists, but they were having a display of some works from Russian artists. My oldest said this one looked like a scene from Where the Wild Things Are, and I'm inclined to agree!


If you look to the far sides, those are the 'wild' characters.

another museum display
Russian artist; handmade paper
Leaving the art center, we continued our stroll. They were having a flea market. It was exactly like any American flea market, full of junk, with the odd treasure here and there. I saw a pretty cool dragon mask, but they man said 300,000 won (about $280), and I just laughed. It was not that cool. I'm not sure if he thought I was stupid, or if he was crazy. Here's a few photos the oldest took.



We finished the loop around the lake, paused for some refreshments, the girls watched the fountain some more, and that was that. It was a pleasant park to spend the afternoon in!

No comments:

Post a Comment